Sunday, December 18, 2011

Society be Damned

I feel pretty lucky.  I am in an area: of my life, of Washington, and emotionally, that I can transition and not be to concerned about things. I dress as a myself everyday. The way things look I am 2 and half years from completing my transitions.

yet, I am guilty. I am starting to see the other side of the coin. the health reasons that don't allow a transition, the complications with injury or with medications. the physical boundaries. The being to big, too hairy, to many tattoos. Aside from the limitations of health, society has pretty much laid the ground rules regarding who can transition and who can't. It's unwritten, there was no committee, there were no votes. No one lobbied for or against it. It just happened.

Why is it that society has decided that they know best? Why can't society leave well enough alone and let us be who the hell we are? So what if my shoulders are bigger then an average woman. Or if I don't have the prettiest tattoos.  Who really cares? Apparently those in society.

Who is it really that is making these rules.  Well, honestly, it's ourselves. We see women in magazine, on TV in real life, on social media. We see them as a certain image and we feel that we have to look like that.

But remember, it's an average. There are plenty of women that have wider shoulders, and tattoos, lots of them.

We get so self-conscious about it, that we can't see past our own fear.

Take a step out, a small step, really small and see how that feels. Do that one thing until your comfortable and it's second nature. Then do one more small thing. Keep doing that.

Obviously, there are things that will keep some people down and unable to transition to their true selves. For them you have my deepest and sincerest apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment